><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Up and Down.

These fish exhaust me emotionally.

I gave Coco some of the New Life Spectrum food for cichlids that Fish Whisperer gave me. She was ravenous, ate as much as I gave her. Even touching my fingers with her lips as I dipped them in the water with the food and eating the food as fast as it entered the water.

Fish Whisperer instructed me to feed her no more than 1/4 teaspoon per day. She ate last night and she ate this morning. But tonight she's spitting the food and has no interest in it. Moe ate less than Coco, and ditto, spitting the food. There's a lot of food on the bottom of Moe's tank. At least I can say Coco ate all of hers except what I tried to feed her tonight. Which means I need to gravel vacuum their tanks.

The albino female in the big tank that I'm worried about is still active. I'm pretty sure that she somehow bruised herself on one of the ornaments in there. It's just weird that she would bruise the base of her pectoral fins and pelvic fins. But that's what it looks like. Fish Whisperer instructed me to check the parameters of their water, he was concerned that it might be a nitrate burn. I did check them, and the parameters are well within normal ranges. My gut is telling me it's a bruise. (sigh)

When Coco ate off my fingers, it was reminiscent to me of the baby fish eating from my fingers when they were itty bitty things and it made me feel so happy to have hundreds of little mouths nipping my fingers. It made me remember why I love these fish so much. Then tonight with the spike of concern, it made me remember why they're so exhausting.