><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Monday, July 14, 2008

Calm After the Storm.

...of tears, that is.

This morning my husband lost one of his guppies. Again, we have no idea if it was from the tank change on Saturday or... he plugged in an aerator in the tank and it was pretty turbulent in there. Or maybe they weren't eating enough. He had switched their food a week or so ago. Whatever the problem, the pretty blue guppy died. Now there's just a pretty red guppy. But he has some white stuff on him, and he so tiny it's hard to tell if it's fungus or ick. We started treating for ick.

Tonight, though, I was on the phone and I noticed some rapid movement in Mr. White's tank. I had moved the magnet cleaner in his tank from the top diagonally to the bottom. Apparently, not having seen a female in a month of Sundays, he thought it was a female, because he started doing his mating dance. Shivering, shaking and getting all excited in there.

Then he would swim really fast to the top of the tank and back to the white magnet, shimmy and shake some more, swim in circles around it and shimmy some more. Before I could stop myself, I was laughing at his antics. The laughing felt weird to me... I was just crying yesterday.

I realized then that this, these moments are why I have these fish. Their personalities and antics crack me up.

Labels: