><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The white fish whose fins were ringed with red tonight looks completely normal. Admittedly, her behavior never varied from "normal". She was consistently active and busy and ate healthily, but it's nice to see her looking normal. I fully believe that it was an injury she somehow gave herself while trying to get away from the gray female who was laying her eggs. Once that event occurred, things settled down in the tank and everyone seemed much more at ease.

In an attempt to give them more places to hide, I bought a taller aquarium decoration for one of the corners. It looks like a rock wall with holes that they can see and swim through ... good for getaways and seeing what's coming at them. There are no sharp corners, so they should be alright. with it. I also swapped out the fake tree root and replaced it with one that has a smaller footprint. Should make it a little easier for cleaning purposes. Their poop and debris seems to collect in that corner. We'll see how it goes.

When I did their water change tonight, I noted a bunch of what appeared to be eggs around the upper 1" rim of their tank. The weirdest thing. Then I realized, that's exactly what it was. Eggs. The gray female had laid her eggs, tumbled them for a day or two, then released them. Instead of being sucked into the filter or eaten by the other fish, they went up and ringed the tank. How gross.

I also added a second filter in their tank. With all the egg laying and rock moving that's been going on in there, the water has just had non-stop debris floating around. The water levels have been in the acceptable range, but I can't imagine they'd want to breathe all that crap. Literally, crap. Heh. Now I hope the water's not too clean.

Coco, the one in the tank who's heater went wonky, has been eating consistently the New Life Spectrum food. I added a feeder ring to her tank to control where the food falls through. She now waits at the bottom of the tank under the purple feeder ring. With every bite she eats, the lighter the load on my heart.

Moe, on the other hand, continues to concern me. She seems to be acting okay, but she's not eating. Today I noticed some white poop coming out of her, but it's not really stringy. I raised the temperature in her tank by a degree or two yesterday, hopefully that will help her with eradicating the parasite and hopefully that's what the white poop was about.

Labels: