><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

More Babies?

One of our goldfish is acting really oddly. It’s the little calico one. It hangs out under one of the plants and has spaz attacks, doing stationary swimming while opening and closing its mouth really fast. We’re either losing it, which would make me terribly sad or it has a jump on New Years Resolutions and has created its own version of a treadmill.

On the other side of the room, one of my Female Inherited Fish has been acting oddly. It started about a week before we moved the tank home from my office. She hangs out near the water intake, avoids the other fish, looks at food but doesn’t eat it and her jowls have become really large. I keep thinking she’s dying, too. In fact, after the move from the office to my home, I was really worried about her, as she just didn't seem to be doing very well.

So, last night I became obsessed with researching all things about fish. I didn’t figure out what’s wrong with our little goldfish, which really bothers me. I did, however, figure out what’s going on with my Female Inherited Fish. Imagine my surprise when, according to several sources (Source 1) (Source 2) on Inherited Fish (aka cichlids), apparently my female is breeding. Again. Uhhh, we JUST had babies in August… what’s up with this? As excited as I am, from a practical standpoint, I don’t know what I’m going to do with more fish. I mean, we already have EIGHT Inherited Fish in a fifteen gallon tank.

It was so sweet, though, when I went downstairs last night to check on them. I turned on their aquarium light and the breeding female was in the cave with the male fish, kind of snuggling with him, I guess. When she took off out of there, across the tank, he peeked out to keep an eye on her and make sure she was okay. Awwww… fish love.

So, today, when I went to lunch with a friend, we went over to WALMART and bought some breeding grass and a little baby tank. See what fun lunches I have? Don't you wanna be my friend, too?

Now I just need to figure out how to catch the momma fish and put her in there. She saw the net coming at her and took off. Smart little stinker.

Hmph. I’ve been outwitted by a fish.