><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Observer in Me.

I am an observer. Not always a doer, but definitely an observer. The categorizer of habits. Probably the one thing I like the most about my fish is that I can stare at them for hours and they don't mind. People would definitely mind if I had my nose pressed up against their business for hours on end. I likely would, too, for that matter.

The newest babies are doing well in their little section in the 12 gallon tank. Eating, swimming, getting stronger and bigger. The baby that snuck over the top? Well, I can't even tell which one he is anymore. The others are just as strong and big as him. I wish there were a way I could get the other little ones in there without the bigger ones.

The adults in their 36 gallon tank are doing well. I let the momma of the most recent batch of fry out of her holding cell a couple nights ago. Just today I noticed that I have two holding females now, so somewhere in the last couple of days another one started holding. The newest holder hangs out at the top of the waterfall where the bubbles come out.

Their tank looks like a shipwreck happened. The male, during his last mating ritual, decided that he liked the other side of the tank with the new aquarium decorations (something that looks like a tree root) as opposed to his cave. So, for a couple of days, he had no rocks in his cave or under the tree root, all the rocks were stacked high in the middle and deposited on top of the "trees" off the waterfall. (eye roll)

There's a fake blue plant that glows in the dark. He has hated that thing since the moment I put it in the tank eight months ago. I can't tell you how much that amuses me. I mean, he HATES it. He spends hours attacking that thing. He finally tugged it free from under the decoration I had weighted it with and moved it behind the waterfall. And it's upside down. AHHAHAHAHAAA! So funny.

At the end of this week I'll be trying to get the holding females out of there. So, I figure I'll "fix" their tank while I'm anyway taking a bath in their water at that time.