><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Bountiful Babies.

I let the 35 new babies out of their birthing net, so now they are free swimming amongst the rest of the babies. They were no longer spurt-swimming, so I figured it would be okay. I don't know how it will be as they grow older, as far as aggression goes. For now it's okay and I'll keep an eye on it.

I have tank dividers, so if I really need to, I can put the dividers in the tank. I'm hoping, though, that aggression won't be displayed for awhile. Maybe I can get them to the fish store before they get aggressive? At six months they should be old enough to be taken to the fish store and sold.

The month old babies look more like fish, more like their parents, and less like pieces of rice with fins. They're growing up so fast. The little ones are so cute, their tiny little bitty fins go back and forth so fast I can hardly see them. Their little bodies are translucent and all you can really see are their eyes and tummies.

It's interesting to watch them. They segregate themselves by age in layers. The older fish swim more toward the top of the tank and the younger ones swim more toward the bottom. I think it has to do with their swimming abilities? It's interesting to see, though.

About a week ago, I started feeding the older ones miniature granulated food. I still feed the First Bites powder food, but added the granules. What I do, though, is put the granules on my finger and put my finger in the water. The older ones, since they swim at the top of the tank, will come up and peck at my finger taking the food pieces off into their mouth. What was hilarious was when I was doing the tank move I had my hands and arms in their tank moving the bottles around. There was one older fish who thought I had food on my arm and kept bonking into it. Heh. Funny fish.