><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Moving to the Bigger.

Tonight I swapped water between the baby tank and the grow out tank. The temperature in the baby tank was 75.7F and the temperature in the grow out tank runs 75F degrees.

Then I netted Momma #4 (she still hasn't delivered) and moved her in a tupperware container into the grow out tank, swapping water in her little container. Then I put her in a breeder net.

Then I stuck a clear bottle in the baby tank with baby food in the bottom. Five little ones swam in and I pulled the bottle out and floated that in the grow out tank, gradually swapping water. Eventually, I just put the bottle in the bottom of the tank and waited for the babies to swim out of it, which they did ... finally.

For awhile they swam around the bottom. It took about 45 minutes for them to venture up higher than 3 inches. And further than a few inches around the bottom. When I turned the lights out for the night, they were quite busy checking out their new home.

I'm gonna wait 24 hours and then, if the first five babies are doing okay, i'll move some more babies over. The first five are my guinea fish, so to speak.

I hope it all goes well.