><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Cracking.

I've been lackadaisical about taking down the two extra hospital tanks. Not because I'm lazy, but because I've been using them as water cycling tanks.

My husband has said he'll build me a tank stand to put one up above Mr. White's tank, that way the counter space will be cleared up.

Today I was doing my weekly tank changes and I drained the cycle tank by the coffeemaker, then went to work draining the water from hospital tank #2. The tank was a loaner from the fish store and had a tiny chunk that had broken off in the corner.

While I was draining it, I heard little clicking noises, but figured it was coming from the black rim at the top from me resting my hand on it acting as a hose guide. I finished siphoning water, and hooked the hose from the sink to refill it. It got completely full and I heard a snapping noise. I looked over and apparently the temperature fluctuation was too much for it, as a crack had appeared from the corner chunk to the top of the rim. And water was beading out the crack!!

Uh oh!

I quickly stuck one hose in and started siphoning water into the sink, I heard another crack and stuck a second hose in to siphon it faster. I got all the water draining and breathed a sigh of relief that it hadn't shattered and splattered water all over the floor! I'm also grateful that I was home when it happened AND that the tank was strong enough while I needed it to get Coco well again.

Just not quite the way I had envisioned getting my counter space back!

Labels: