><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Baby Fry.

Yesterday, I pulled the breeder net in the baby tank where the 2nd fry has been living down to get the water to flow more freely throughout the tank. The 2nd fry is mostly free swimming now and I thought they'd be okay mixed in with the week old fry.

They are doing splendidly. There is one baby in fry #2 that I don't know if it will make it. He kind of swims wobbly and spurtlike -- maybe it has a birth defect with its swim bladder or something. None of the other babies have problems.

It was so cute to see them when they were first out of their mom's mouth. Their little bellies were like a little balloon (that lasted about a day), they kind of swam in hops and when they "landed" they flopped on their sides. Hee. So cute. They're all doing really well except that one.

A couple days ago, I custom sewed a fish net that acts like a sock around the filter intake. The breeder net I had wrapped around it was just taking up too much room and the lady's nylon that I had on there before was too restrictive and didn't allow enough water in. The fish net is, in the terms of Goldilocks, "just right".