><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fish Strategy.

I've been fretting but everything seems to be okay in the baby tank. I plan to take momma #1 out today and release her in the big tank tonight when it's dark. I thought I'd try the bottle-catch trick but so far no luck with that. She continues to eat well and herds the babies around. She holds them at night, presumably to keep them safe. It's been interesting, to say the least.

I don't have a divider in the tank; although, the only aggression I've seen was right after momma #1 spit her fry on Sunday. She turned and spotted momma #2's tail hiding in the plants. She swished around so hard and so fast she sent rocks and babies scattering throughout the tank. Momma #2 found a better hiding place behind a fake lily pad I have attached the side of the tank and there have been no further problems. Momma #2 isn't interested in moving from that spot, which I assume is okay.

I have my breeder net wrapped around the filter intake to prevent the fry from getting in there. I tried the pantyhose trick on it, but that restricted the water flow too much, so I switched to the breeder net and that works much better. So, I reckon I should go get another breeder net for momma #2.

The day after I pulled the two mommas out, the male got a 3rd female and now she's holding in the main tank *rolls eyes*, that male is a lusty fellow.