><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Friday, February 10, 2006

Momma #3

The third female, to my best calculation, is due on Monday or Tuesday (Feb. 13th or 14th). I'm not sure where I want her to deliver her babies, I suppose she'll have to do it in a baby net off the main tank as the baby tank really doesn't have room for any more babies. She's the smallest of the females, so it will be interesting to find out how many babies she has in her mouth.

I decided to try to sneak up on her and net her out of the main tank. That didn't work. I decided to go with the bottle trick, even though I could potentially end up with every other fish but her. She likes to spend her days face down hiding in a big plant in the middle of the tank. I poked the bottle down in that plant where she likes to hang out.

She went around the outside of it a couple of times. The other fish eyeballed the outside of it. I walked away for about 10 minutes, when I came back, she was in the bottle looking out at me. Not in the least bit upset at all. In fact, she looked rather pleased with herself to be protected from all the other fish -- not only by her plant, but by a bottle, too.

I lifted the bottle out and that upset her, but not too badly.

I set up the baby net and hung it off the lip of the main tank and then turned the bottle sideways and let her swim out into her new little home. She isn't thrilled, she feels too exposed. The net is over the plant she was hiding in since January 23rd (her holding start date) and she keeps trying to swim down into it, but the net is in her way.


Ahh well, little lady, it's only temporary.