><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Thursday, April 20, 2006

More Babies -- Yay!

The remaining holding female let her babies go this evening. She started around 5:30 PM and let a few out at a time over the next couple of hours. For some reason, she really, really fought letting these babies out. She did NOT want to let them go. The babies were fighting to be free -- she would press her mouth against the corner of the tank, I could see their little heads flailing, almost making it out, she would press harder, swimming firmly in place, keeping them in. I haven't seen anything like it, none of the other females have been like that.

It was simply unbelievable.

She finally let them all out, though. I moved her quickly from the holding tank back to the main tank, once I was certain she had. I fed her a flake of food while she was in the transfer cell, she took it in and popped it back out. Her throat puffed up a couple of times and expelled. The females do that to food just after they've let their babies go. So I knew there were no more.

Then I rounded up and moved the babies into a cell in the baby tank. At best count there are 12 albinos and 30 greys. That's right, folks, we're talking 42 babies that she'd been holding (that includes the one she let go a couple days ago).

Since we're leaving at 5 AM in the morning, I had hoped she'd start eating so I could let her go in the main tank. So far, she has no interest in food. The babies are passingly interested in eating. I think they're gonna be okay. They're all in the "just been born" shock stage, I think.

Since the holding tank is empty now... wow... that's a first in a long time to not have a holding female... I moved the male into the 6 gallon tank (formerly the holding tank). He is, in a word, ecstatic. He's swimming all around, exploring, going behind each crevice, coming back out. He is soooo happy. Who knew that a gallon of water and a different layout would make such a big difference!