><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Saturday, April 08, 2006

More Babies.

The female that was holding in the Penn Flax contraption was, indeed, the next due female. She was a little shy in releasing her babies (she was supposed to be due on 3/31/06). So, I put a white lid in the tank, visually separating her from the other two in the tank. Dratted fish.

On Wednesday night, she accidentally let one baby out. I know it was accidental because she kept trying to get him through the sides of the container (she could see him the little baby cell). The next day, she let four more go. I pulled them out Thursday night and put them in a holding cell in the 12 gallon baby tank. Friday morning when I left for work, she had let five more babies out. When I came home Friday, there were 20 total in the container plus the 5 I'd moved to the other tank -- 25 babies.

I pulled her out and moved her into a holding cell off the 36 gallon tank and started to feed her. My goal is to try and keep food out of the 6 gallon female holding tank. Less mess.

This morning I moved the 20 other babies into the holding cell in the 12 gallon tank. The female is doing okay, she's pretty hungry. I've learned to feed her flakes instead of granules, she doesn't mix them up in her mind with holding babies, so she eats easier the first day out.

The next female that's due is the one on the end, so I need to move her into the Penn Flax container. It shouldn't be too long and we'll have another 20+ babies. Oh boy!

I think I need to bring another batch of the older fish to the fish store. I'm not seeing any overt aggression like I was last week, but still, I think it's time.