><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Friday, February 09, 2007

Strategy.

The albino female who got smooshed (mentioned in the last post) was released after 24 hours of observing. She seemed to be fine.

After I released her, though, she spent most of her time in a downward position in the corner of the tank, making herself as small as possible, not even swimming out to eat but grabbing like an eel any pieces of food that floated by her. She who had been fighting to get out of the isolation cell was now taking up less room than what that protection afforded her.

I decided to put her in the 10 gallon tank that I set up in the place where Mr. Blue's tank and Mr. White's tanks used to be. I know it's not Mr. Blue's tank, but emotionally I was a little shaky. The 10 gallon tank has stood empty since I set it up. I moved her over and watched her closely. She acclimated just fine. Intellectually, I knew she would. She's been in there for two days now and seems happy.

My goal is to grow her just a bit larger, let her fins heal and then move her over to the 36 gallon tank. Next I'll move the other female who's in the isolation cell in the 12 gallon tank over to the 10 gallon by herself and then move her over to the 36 gallon.

I'll give Mr. White a chance to breed with just the one white female. He doesn't seem to be inclined toward that, though. At this point, I'm kind of stumped as far as breeding strategy goes. After Mr. Blue died at the fish store, my friend (the owner) offered when I was ready to help me find and buy me another Mr. Blue. I'm starting to consider taking him up on that offer.