><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fungus on Mr. Blue

This past weekend we were away for a couple days. When I got home, first thing, I checked the fish tanks. My habits are hard to break.

I noticed that on the sides of Mr. Blue's tank and Mr. White's tank there were microscopic worms. So small that they looked like fiber from a paper towel, but they were definitely worms. I pulled Mr. Blue out and put him in the 12 gallon tank (the baby tank) in a holding cell while I cleaned his tank of the worms and algae. I pulled his tree rock out and noticed that the filter intake, which was hidden behind it, was pretty clogged up and not really pulling any water through. I cleaned it out.

I also cleaned Mr. White's tank, but I had just cleaned his tank not that long ago.

I have determined that glass tanks are far better than the plastic tanks (like Mr. Blue's and Mr. White's). I have such enormous trouble keeping algae out of them. In a day after cleaning, it's all back and it's so frustrating.

Tonight, three days after cleaning Mr. Blue's tank, I noticed that he has a patch about the size of one of his scales of what looks like fuzzy growth... a fungus? I worried myself sick over Mr. Blue and finally called my fish guy's cell phone and left him a message.

I was surprised, but my fish guy called me back around 10 PM and he said I could treat it with the Jungle Fungus clear, that it's pretty mild? That if it doesn't help, I could actually take Mr. Blue out of the water, lay him on a towel and wipe the fungus off of him????? Holy crap. I hope the fungus clear works because I do NOT want to be doing that to Mr. Blue.

I hope I don't lose him, that puts me in a really bad place emotionally. Poor fish. He did nothing wrong, I'm just a negligent fish owner.