><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Monday, February 20, 2006

More BABIES!

The female that was supposed to have her babies last Monday was still holding them today. A week too long, still not eating. Apparently she didn't feel safe letting those babies out in the main tank, even though she was in the baby net. (sigh)

I mentioned to a lady at the pet store that she was holding and was overdue. She made a comment that these types of fish will starve themselves rather than let their babies out if they feel unsafe. It was like a light bulb going off in my head.

When I got home, I moved her into a net in the baby tank. We left to see a movie. When we got home a couple hours later, she had let the babies out. Seventeen of them. She is the smallest female, so I wasn't surprised at the smaller amount of babies. They all seem to be swimming well.

I netted Momma #3 and moved her back to the main tank. I hope all the moving around today doesn't prove to be too much for her. She is eating, though, I think I'll leave her in the holding cell in the main tank for a day and then let her out tomorrow night when it's dark.

The wobbler, the disabled one from the previous batch, is still alive. He sits on the back side of the coral most of the time. I'm glad he's still alive. I just hope he's not in pain or anything, poor little baby.

When I went to the pet store, I bought a 36 gallon tank for my adult fish. This was big purchase for me. But I want them to have more room -- I've read there should be a gallon for each inch of fish in the tank. To my best calculation, I have 25.5 inches of fish altogether (5 adults, 3 juniors, 1 algae eater), living in a 12 gallon tank. They're a little cramped.