><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Saturday, February 25, 2006

36 Gallon Setup & New Holding Female

I fell on the stairs this morning, slipped down three before I landed on my butt and found my footing, so to speak. Found my butting would be more appropriate, I think. It jarred me, from my neck to my tailbone. I sat there for a couple minutes catching my breath, knowing that I had wrenched the muscles on the right side of my back and the left side of my butt.

Of course, the fact that I finished setting up the new 36 gallon fish tank today, which meant siphoning water out of one tank, scooping rocks, aquarium decorations, eight fish out and settling everything into their new, bigger home added to my muscle workout. Not a bad thing, I’ll just be paying for it in the morning. Actually, I’m already feeling it tonight.

But, I didn’t let the pain stop me. Oh no! Then, I moved their old 12 gallon tank and stand over to the other side of the room and refilled it to cycle. Eventually, that will be the baby tank and the small, five gallon tank the babies are presently living in will be going to work with me – either with the Male Fish or Baby 1, 2 & 3. I haven’t decided yet.

I’ve been concerned about moving the adult fish into their new home since I bought their tank last Sunday. Ironically, the first fish to swim into the moving bottle was the Male Fish. I rolled my eyes and muttered, “How appropriate. Get over there and set up dominance.” The most difficult fish to catch and move was the algae eater. He kept sticking to the walls of the tank. While I was getting each fish acclimated to the water in the new tank, I left the net in the old tank. The last fish in the old tank defeatedly put herself into the net as if to say, “Take me, too.” I laughed at that.

I had set the rocks in the new tank similar to how they had been in the old tank. I knew things would be okay after acclimating the male, he swam down into the bottom of the tank, looked around for a minute and from the other side of the tank spotted his cave. His fins went up, his eyes got focused and he swam like a torpedo to his rocks, turned around and looked at me as if to say, “You did all that just for this?”

I finished the tank set up around 4 PM today. My husband stopped on his way home from work and bought Inherited Fish an air pump which adds bubbles to the waterfall decor that I also bought last week. It was so pretty I couldn’t resist, but I wasn’t planning on hooking up the bubbles. I have to admit, the bubbles really make the display. HA! Just give me time, I’ll have you buying Inherited Fish presents, too.

All in all, I guess I did something right with the new tank and set up. You’ll be glad to know that Male Inherited Fish christened the tank from 6 - 7 PM this evening. It took them about an hour and, yes, I watched. You know what I mean.

That’s right – I now have another holding female.