><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Vacation!

I'm thrilled to report that we went on vacation for a week. Someone took care of our home while we were gone, fed the fish once a day. Even though it got super hot while we were away and we have the A/C shut completely off -- all the fish survived. No lost ones. Even the babies were fine.

I labeled all the tanks: "The Babies", "Mr. Blue", "Mr. White" and "The Ladies." I amused myself in my mind with alternative labels, such as "The Spawn", "The Sultan", "Sultan in Training" and "The Whores". HA! I'm so bad.

The big tank (female tank) gets up to 78 or 79 degrees during the day and just below 75 degrees at night. I guess the tank temperature fluctuation has triggered all the females to lay eggs. Right now, 5 of the 7 females are tumbling eggs. Unfertilized, but nonetheless, eggs. They take this egg tumbling business very seriously. Until I noticed that tonight, I was wondering why there was uneaten food at the bottom of the tank. Now I understand. I suppose I should reduce the feeding amount in the auto-feeder.

I'm sad that the baby algae eater died before we left, but I'm glad that he didn't die while we were gone.