><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Sunday, June 25, 2006

35 More Babies Moved.

I didn't think it would be so hard. Friday night I started feeling pangs of sadness. I love these little baby fish. They are so precious to me, the way they flit around in their tank, up and down, all excited when they see me coming in the room.

I didn't realize there were still so many in the tank. Probably another 80 or so, are still in there. I pulled 35 of them out and took them over to the fish store on Saturday. It was hard for me, emotionally. I guess because, even though this is what I've been working toward, it's hard to realize that soon, I will only have four albino babies.

My husband reminded me that we can breed them again and that is our plan. That helped a little.

When I got to the fish store, one of the babies I'd brought over there before was dead and floating. Oh dear. That made me kind of sad. It's strange but the babies that are over there haven't really grown much. I'm not sure why that is, whether they're not getting enough food or what.

The transition of the new babies went well, I moved them into their tank at the fish store the way I like to, scooping them out with a net and putting them in the tank. I hate the way we've done it before by pouring the water through a net and catching the babies all at once in a rush. That's gotta be hard on them to have all that water rushed past them. (sigh)

Or maybe I'm just being weird about it.

When I got home, I took a few minutes and watched the remaining babies swim around. They're so precious and cute. The four albinos that I'm raising are getting bigger everyday. One in particular is about 2 inches and I think it's a boy. He spends a lot of time in a cave like area of the tank moving rocks. Plus, his dorsal fin is turning into a perfect triangle, and I think in time it will form a point. The other three have a roundness to their dorsal fin. The sharp point is indicative of it being a male. He sure is a pretty little fish, but that means I can't put him in the main tank, the female tank. Otherwise, I'll start having abundant babies again.

In exchange for this batch of babies, I brought home three 3 pack filters for my tanks. Oh, and I brought home a baby algae eater. He's in the five gallon tank, the green tank. I'm hoping he'll clean that tank up a bit.