><((((º> Nothing But Fish

Sunday, February 11, 2007

10 seconds?

Someone once told me that fish have 10 second memories. I don't know if I believe that or not, but it kind of makes sense because how bored would YOU be if you floated around in a tank that you've seen all day, every day. And night, too.

If that's the case, then their behaviors all learned or are genetic. Which, I guess, would also make sense. I read somewhere (specific to mouthbrooding cichlids) that if the mom of the particular fish was allowed to hold her babies until she released them (instead of being stripped of them) then that particular fish will also hold her babies properly and won't eat them. Again, I don't know if that's true or not, as my fish were allowed to hold their babies until they released them.

I watch these albino females and I wish I could get them to breed. I think it would be neat to watch them hold their babies because they are so translucent I could probably watch the little ones develop in their throats. I think it would be amazing. It doesn't look as if that will be happening anytime soon though.

The white female I separated into the 10 gallon tank is doing well. She seems curious about what's going on outside her tank. She doesn't hide like Mr. Blue used to, she'll follow me around (inside her tank) and watch me wash dishes or whatever. It's kind of nice. Once I move her to the big tank, I wonder if the next fish I put in there will do that?